Hours: Monday through Friday 7 am to 3:30 pm
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDoT) is responsible for building, maintaining and operating the State’s roads, bridges and tunnels. Through the Commonwealth Transportation Board, it also provides funding for airports, seaports, rail and public transportation.
VDoT divides the State into nine districts, each which oversees maintenance and construction on the State-maintained highways, bridges and tunnels in its region. Floyd County is part of the Salem District. Within Floyd County, we are served by two area offices:
- Check Area Headquarters (540) 651-6200
Transportation Department Field Offices:
- Hillsville Residency Office (276) 728-2813
If resolution to a citizen problem cannot be resolved with the respective area headquarters, calls can be directed to the Residency Administrator at (276) 728-2813, who oversees Floyd and Carroll Counties.
Primary road funds, such as for Route 8 and Route 221, are administered through VDoT, with recommendations from the County Board of Supervisors. Construction and maintenance issues on secondary roads are handled by the local Board of Supervisors. A six-year plan of action is reviewed every year through a public hearing process for citizen input on secondary road projects.
Overview of VDOT Land Use Requirements: Click here (PDF File)
VDOT reviewing all plats that are three or more lots: Click here (PDF File)
- http://www.virginiadot.org/business/manuals-default.asp (Manuals & Guides)
- http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/chapter527/default.asp (Chapter 527)
- http://www.virginiadot.org/business/bu-landUsePermits.asp (Land Use Permits-Incl. Applications)
- http://www.virginiadot.org/info/faq-2ndaryroads.asp (getting a road “accepted”)
- http://www.virginiadot.org/business/ssr.asp (Subdivision Street Requirements)
- http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/accessmgt/default.asp (Proposed Access Management Regulations)
Visit us at: www.virginiadot.org