120 West Oxford Street
Phone: (540) 745-9313
Emergency Management Coordinator
The Department of Emergency Management is responsible for coordinating emergency services activities within Floyd County. A close relationship is maintained between the Department and the volunteer fire and rescue organizations that are assigned emergency response duties throughout the County. The Department is responsible for maintaining a County Emergency Operations Plan and a Hazardous Materials Response Plan. The Department is the point of contact for the County’s Enhanced 9-1-1 (E-9-1-1) system and to report a stolen street name signs and requesting replacement signs. The Department maintains a database of all addressed structures in the County and is responsible for the coordination between the Telephone Company and Post Offices on E-9-1-1 issues.
Get ready to save money!
Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday is May 25-31
Go shopping the last week of May and save money on lots of useful items. Virginia’s annual Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday is May 25-31. Before the storms hit, stock up on many supplies for protecting your home and business and you won’t pay sales tax on them.
New this year: gas-powered chainsaws costing less than $350 and chainsaw accessories are tax free! Among other items that are tax-exempt are these, with a price of $60 or less:
- Artificial ice, blue ice, ice packs, reusable ice
- Batteries, excluding car or boat batteries
- Portable self-powered light sources, including flashlights and lanterns and glow sticks
- First aid kits
- Cell phone chargers
- Weather Band radios and NOAA Weather Radios
- Portable self-powered radios, including radios with electrical power capability
- Bottled water of any size, including flavored and carbonated
- Two-way radios
- Manual can openers
- Tarps, plastic sheeting, plastic drop cloths
- Bungee cords and rope
- Ground anchor systems, tie down kits
- Ratchet straps
- Duct tape
- Carbon monoxide and smoke detectors, fire extinguishers
- Empty gas, propane or diesel fuel tanks or containers
- Water storage containers such as buckets, barrels, canteens, coolers
Shop for items on this list that have a sales price of $1,000 or less:
- Portable generators and generator power cords
- Inverters and inverter power cables.